WELCOME TO THE SACRAMENTO BICYCLE KITCHEN
The Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen (SBK) is a community-centered bicycle shop serving the residents of Sacramento. The organization was formed in order to promote cycling as a low-cost, alternative form of transportation; enable self-sufficiency through knowledge of bicycle maintenance; and promote bicycle safety through education and classes.
SBK wants to improve bicycling in Sacramento by making bicycle maintenance, repair, and training more widely available to everyone, regardless of skill level. To this end, we provide the space, tools, and staff necessary to help patrons learn how to perform any bicycle repair need they may have, all in exchange for a minimal cash donation. Besides running the bike shop, we also try to offer maintenance and safety classes and community outreach projects.
SBK relies on volunteers and donations to keep our doors open; visit our volunteer page for info on volunteer requirements and our donations page for the why, what, when, hows of donating!
Look for the Ivy near the intersection of 20th & I streets!
SBK’s doors are open during shop hours to anyone who loves and respects bicycling and their fellow cyclists as much as we do!
Sacramento is one of the most diverse communities in the nation. SBK is an organization that is committed to creating an environment that is free from bigotry and hate. Discrimination will not be tolerated and we try hard to maintain an open and safe environment for all. If you encounter someone that goes against this policy, please bring it to one of the core volunteers’ attention.
SBK will be closed Saturday, December 14th through Monday, January 6th for our annual winter closure. During this time, we will be working behind the scenes to clean, organize, decorate, and generally improve the shop and shop operations. The shop will reopen to the public on Tuesday, January 7th at 6pm.
Happy Holidays and a Joyful New Year from our SBK family to yours!
Happy Cranksgiving! SBK will be closed Thursday, November 28th through Saturday, November 30th due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Regular shop hours will resume Tuesday, December 3rd at 6pm.
If you want to hang out with us on Thursday, feel free to stop by our tent at the 32nd Annual Appetite Enhancement Ride!
UPDATE: This class is now full but you can still RSVP for the wait list.
NEWLY SCHEDULED CLASS ALERT!
Join us for our hands-on brake maintenance class that will teach you how to perform common repairs and adjustments for rim brakes, including:
- Installing brake cables
- Adjusting brake pads and cable tension to help you stop safely and effectively
- Diagnosing common annoyances with brakes like squeaking and rubbing
Participants should be familiar with basic maintenance, like fixing a flat tire, using a wrench/screwdriver, etc.
While the class will use shop bikes for demonstrations and practice, we recommend you bring your bicycle if you have one. Brake systems vary from bike to bike and we’d like you to learn how to fix the brakes on *your* bike.
Class location and date:
Sac Bike Kitchen
Monday, 11/18/2019, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Cost to Attend:
FREE (excluding parts if applicable)
Other things to know:
- The purpose of all SBK classes is to *teach* you how to perform bicycle repairs. Therefore, we cannot be held responsible for any damage your bicycle may incur during the class nor can we guarantee that you will have a functioning bicycle at the end of the class, especially if your bicycle was not functioning properly prior to the class.
- This class’s focus is for braking systems. If your bicycle has an issue that is not brake-related (e.g. trouble shifting, bent wheel, etc.), please either bring it in during normal shop hours or when we hold a class that covers that issue.
- We have limited experience working with disc brakes and coaster brakes (the kind where you pedal backwards to stop). We will be happy to take a look and apply what knowledge we have, but may not be able to answer all questions you may have about them.
Great! Please RSVP to email@example.com